Hi and welcome to the creative mind of Brooklyn-based interior design firm, Ishka Designs.
This blog allows you to peek behind the scenes of our design process; see the images, products, and events that inspire and motivate us. We are happily biased towards interior design topics with a sustainable undertone. With our international backgrounds, we definitely embrace a global perspective and influence. We hope you are inspired and sometimes provoked by our postings and we look forward to reading and responding to your comments!

One love, idi

4.23.2010

Conflicted

Against my better judgement I indulged in a 5-star all-inclusive mega hotel in the Dominican Republic awhile back as I played bridesmaid to one of my favourite b-school friends turned client.  And while I must admit that 5-star has its perks, the true winner for the trip was the mega showers in the spa that felt like Dunns River Waterfalls on my head and shoulders.  I knew instantly that if I were to ever renovate my bathroom then I would have to find the perfect residential shower body to mirror this experience. 


Of course the conservative in me is a bit conflicted.  There is an ever pressing global need for water conservation and efficiency.  Currently my home in Kingston, Jamaica is suffering from urban mis-management and the lack of public administration’s attention to properly adapt infra-structure to a rapidly increasing population.  So this begs the question: can I indulge in the frivolous desire to wash my hair with something akin to a fireman’s hose??? 

And those rainfall showers, while very conservative, are admittedly for wimps. Who needs rainfall??? Give me waterfall dammit!!!  After all, these tresses of mine need some serious power washing on a regular basis and these shower body beauties might just do the trick:  

The Aqua Adagio by Jaclo

Jane Hamley Wells Waterfall Outdoor shower

Anyhow, it’s probably a good thing then that my own budget might limit my ability to recreate the force of Dunns River in my bathroom right now.  So while I continue to accumulate wealth, I strongly encourage those fixtures companies I so admire, Kohler, Watermark Designs, Hansgrohe, Jaclo, Jane Hamley Wells, etc. to please come up with a way to replicate that waterfall force in a residential setting AND allow me to happily conserve the water.  Why can’t we get the best of both worlds???

That 5-star hotel in DR (Paradisus Palma Real) at night


That 5-star hotel at dawn


idi







5 comments:

  1. home does a lot for us doesn't it - even if it can't provide the water we need. at least there's rain now - though this doesn't address the poor municipal management of the quenching gifts it brings.

    your best post yet - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of an outdoor shower!

    Did you explore any of DR besides the resort?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ani,
    Welcome home, and yes sadly to our water or lack thereof reality. I am glad to say I share your sentiment exactly, a fellow lover of a gushing shower. I hope the "conservative Dunn's River" becomes a reality before I too can remodel my shower. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. QBF, I did get out a bit. Visited this cuay called Saona Island, Bay Ahibe, and a few other spots in Punta Cana.

    @ Richard :)

    ReplyDelete