Hi and welcome to the creative mind of Brooklyn-based interior design firm, Ishka Designs.
This blog allows you to peek behind the scenes of our design process; see the images, products, and events that inspire and motivate us. We are happily biased towards interior design topics with a sustainable undertone. With our international backgrounds, we definitely embrace a global perspective and influence. We hope you are inspired and sometimes provoked by our postings and we look forward to reading and responding to your comments!

One love, idi

8.16.2010

NYIGF 2010 Review

Walked my feet off at the NY International Gift Fair on Sunday. The exhibition is still ongoing at not just the Javitz center in NYC, but Pier 94 & 92 as well. Ridiculously overwhelming but the variety and range of products is something to behold - really quite beautiful.  Unfortunately, I edited my take-aways a little too well as I am now regretting not grabbing a couple more and snapping more photographs. Regardless, I have a few honorable mentions to share:

1. I was quite happy to see furnishings on display.  I was beside myself with the affordably priced items from Zentique (a) out of Georgia - lovely elegant pieces.  Also, I have to give a second blog mention to South African designers, Ronel Jordan's (b), floor cushions and wall hangings made of felt.  Then there was the wonderful craftsmanship of Manglam Arts (c) out of India with their modern twist on old traditions - large abstract carvings, beautiful inlaid furniture, and simply gorgeous rugs.

a) Zentique
ottoman from Zentique
Bench by Zentique
(the most comfortable chair ever) Zentique
b) Ronel Jordan
felt poufs, Ronel Jordan

c) Manglam Arts
hand carved dresser, Manglam Arts
various dressers, Manglam Arts

2. Accessories were in abundance and yet I only grabbed a few cards and took a handful of pictures.  Anyhow, I just have to mention the organic light fixtures, among others, from Roost (d) - simply beautiful.  The rugs and cushions from Judy Ross Textiles (e) were to die for while the ultra soft hand-woven and machine-woven cashmere and cotton throws and pillows from Rani Arabella (f) were over the top. The incredible sophistication of D. Bryant Archie Textiles' (g) pillows and blankets have been on my radar for awhile and I was so happy to touch them in person, as well as catch up with the darling designer.

d) Roost
organic chandelier, Roost
organic chandelier 2, Roost
chandelier, Roost
e) Judy Ross Textiles
embroidered cushion, photo by Judy Ross Textiles
Embroidered cushion, photo by Judy Ross Textiles
f) Rani Arabella
hand-woven cashmere throw & pillow, Rani Arabella
Cashmere throw, Rani Arabella
g) D. Bryant Textiles
Peau, D. Bryant Archie Textiles (photos from CuratedChic.blogspot.com)
Photo from curatedchic.blogspot.com
3. And for my Jamaican peeps, I thought I would highlight an example of how we are not taking advantage of what we are (supposedly) famous for:
Jonathan Adler jar designs

All in all, I look forward to placing these products in the right home, including that jar...cannot wait!

anishka for idi

1 comment: